The human element
PLG members work in all kinds of libraries, at all levels, with a huge variety of specializations. What they share in common is the belief that library workers have a responsibility as professionals to work toward social justice in our communities and nations.
We envision our organization as:
- building a (non-intimidating) community of like-minded librarians, a place where we are not alone;
- cultivating spaces to learn, teach, share alternatives to the status quo; not just about understanding, but changing the world;
- being in the streets, classrooms, and community spaces with the movements for change;
- guiding the profession by developing our own and supporting other critical voices and understanding;
- connecting to the community, being actively educative;
- being a critical and dissonant, but consistent voice in the profession and community;
- the left-wing of professional associations; and
- continuing to issue the Braverman Award.